Friday, September 7, 2007

Overdrive and NetLibrary


I've never checked out an e-book or digital audiobook until today, and, well...frankly I don't see myself doing so in the near future.

It's a shame that these programs are not compatible with iPods, for if they were I'm sure that I would be more interested in them. But who wants to listen to an audiobook from their computer? Hopefully both of these databases will make nice with Apple someday and we will be able to listen to free audiobooks and rejoice. Merrily. With enthusiasm.

As for my overall reactions, I must say that Overdrive's interface is a lot more user-friendly than NetLibrary. I couldn't even figure out how to just browse NetLibrary's collection...maybe I missed something.

On a side note, I have only rarely suggested audiobooks to patrons and in return have usually encountered the same response: frustration and confusion. Overdrive and NetLibrary are clunky applications that could learn a lot from iTunes. And I think that our patrons feel the same way.

No comments: